Green New Deal For Hong Kong Economic Recovery
To cope with the economic recession and the skyrocketing unemployment rate, the Civic Party proposes the Government to adopt “Green New Deal” policy and measures, in order to help Hong Kong limits the adverse effect of economic downturn and pave the way for economic recovery.
The Civic Party suggests that our Government should look into the following three aspects: 1) Green Finance; 2) Green Works; and 3) Energy Efficiency Programs.
Green Finance (Emission Trading)
The global market of emission trading is growing. From 2005 to 2007, the trade has increased from US $11 billion to US $64 billion. This year, Beijing, Shanghai and Tokyo has established their own environmental/emission trading exchange.
Hong Kong Exchange is planning to develop a trading/clearing platform for derivatives linked to emissions. The details of the plan, however, had not been announced yet. We urge the Government and Hong Kong Exchange to disclose their proposal and consult the public as soon as possible.
The Civic Party urges the Government to implement the following projects that would benefit our environment as soon as possible:
1. Water pipe repairing works: The Government is planning to spend HK$ 12.2 billion to fix the pipe leakage problem before 2015, which would create 110K jobs opportunities. The Government should speed up the works.
2. HATS Stage 2B: The Government’s original plan for HATS Stage 2B sewerage treatment works, which cost HK$ 10.8 billion, would start not before 2011. The Civic Party urge the Government to implement this project as soon as possible.
3. NT cycle paths: The Government has plan to link up cycle paths in NT. CEDD assumed that the works would involved funding of HK$ 2 billion. The funding application will table to Legislative Council in March 2009. The Civic Party urge the Government to review whether the funding application could be shortened.
4. Green Rooftop Works: The Civic Party urge the authority to subsidy more green rooftop works.
Energy Efficiency Programs
The Civic Party urges the Government to seek the opportunity to reduce the city energy consumption by sponsoring energy efficiency works in the following programs:
1. Subsidizing schools to conduct energy audit and install energy efficiency and/or renewable facilities;
2. To extend the Light Device Conservation trial scheme in Ho Man Tin Estate to all public housing estates.
3. To provide funding for household to replace energy inefficiency lightings with efficient one.
4. To subsidy young people to work as apprentice in energy efficiency business.
The Civic Party respects your personal privacy and is committed to maintaining your trust and confidence. We believe in ensuring the security of your personal information. Please take the time to read this policy, and contact us if you have any questions or concerns. We strive to protect any personal information you may provide us but by law we must allow inspection of the volunteer register. Your personal data will be put into our volunteer database and will be used only for the purposes of arranging volunteer service and communicating with you. We are the sole owner of any information we collect. Your personal information is not lent or sold to anyone for any purpose. You may contact us for enquiry, updating or ceasing the use of your personal information.